The Library was founded in April 1906 by the decision of the State Duma for better information support of the First Russian Parliament. Besides new editions, censor exemplars were brought from the General Directorate of Press Affairs as well as official publications of ministries and agencies, newspaper clippings from the Informative Bureau, parliamentary materials of European and non-European countries. The first printed catalog was published in 1907, and in 1909 the State Duma introduced a special law according to which the Library received a right to get illegal publications banned in Russia without duty and censorship.
Until 1924 the Library had changed it’s owners several times, in 1925 -1926 it was a branch of the Russian Public Library where in July 1925 the considerable part of the Library fund of the State Duma was removed.
Since 1926 the Library has received a status of a Library of a Higher Education Institute — the Communist University named after Zinoviev. Since 1918 the University had been located in the Taurida Palace, and in 1944 it was reorganized into Leningrad High Party School (LHPS). On the one hand the belonging to LHPS determined a unique formation of the Library fund including publications which were seized by the Soviet censorship from funds of other libraries. On the other hand it led to closed access for a broad scientific publicity and to that many publications which were kept in our collections were considered lost.
In 1989 LHPS was closed and the Leningrad Political Institute was founded on it’s base. In 1991 it became the North-West Training Center which was renamed into North-West Presidential Academy of Public Administration in 1996. Since 2010 the Academy is the North-West Institute of Management — branch of Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration.
Now more than 15 000 BA, MA and PhD students as well as students of the Faculty of professional development (officials of various levels) study at the North-West Institute of Management. Preparing of civil servants of new formation gave a task to the Library to form a fund saving a profile of social sciences which has been formed during 100 years since foundation of the Library.
Up to date computarization of the Library’s processes have been finished, local network has been created. All technological processes from ordering a book in publishing house up to giving it to a reader have been automated. The online bibliographer service and books ordering service work here. Readers are provided with an electronic catalog and electronic resources which are necessary for educational and research activity as well as with humanitarian resources of world editions thanks to cooperation with NEICON (National Electronic-Information Consortium).
Readers have an opportunity to make copies of necessary study materials in accordance with the 4th Part of the Civil Code of the Russian Federation. Staff of the Library welcomes the readers and is happy to make it comfortable for readers!
To get more information about the library you can here: